Remodeling a kitchen is one of the biggest projects you will take on in your home. A great remodel requires lots of research and careful planning to ensure things are completed exactly as you hoped. There are many questions to consider when you’re planning a remodel or renovation, and the answers to these questions will help to guide the project along.
6 Questions To Consider
- What is my budget? This is the #1 question to ask before starting any remodeling project. On average, a kitchen remodel will be around $20,000 although depending on finishes it could go much higher (or even a little less). Be honest with yourself and your contractor about the budget and stick to it, although be realistic that there could be unforeseen costs along the way that may affect the budget. Have a little flexibility built in before you begin.
- What do I want in my kitchen? Obviously, there are some givens in any kitchen remodel: a sink, appliances, cabinets, and countertops. Are there other things you must have? For example, do you want a farmhouse sink? How about a backsplash? Would you like to have a skylight to brighten up the space? Make a list of everything you want in your new kitchen before you begin the project, then work with your designer to determine what you can get based on your budget.
- Do I need to hire a professional? A kitchen refresh with a new coat of paint on the walls or cabinets or new lighting could be a DIY project. However, a full kitchen remodel would benefit greatly from the help of a professional. A certified kitchen designer can help to plan the project and keep things within budget and on schedule, while a professional contractor will ensure that the job is done right, meeting all building codes, and producing a finished product that looks, well…professional.
- What is my style? Determining your kitchen style before a renovation is key. Every decision you will make in regards to your kitchen should be guided by the style you hope to convey. From choosing cabinets to countertops to paint colors, your style will help to lead you in the right directions for these choices.
- How long can I go without my kitchen? During a renovation project, your kitchen will be out of commission for a while. This could be days or even weeks depending on the scope of the project. You may have to come up with a plan for alternate kitchen arrangements while the project is going on. This may mean setting up a makeshift kitchen in the garage for a while or borrowing a neighbor’s stove from time to time. Having a plan in place before the project starts will help to alleviate stress after it starts.
- Do I want my kitchen to be energy efficient? If your kitchen hasn’t been touched since the 70s, chances are it is not energy efficient in the slightest. Remodeling is the perfect time to update not only your style but your energy efficiency as well. New innovations in kitchen appliances, fixtures, and lighting can make a big impact on your energy bill and a big statement in your new kitchen.
Getting ready to remodel your kitchen ? It is an exciting time full of questions. Why not have the professional guidance of an experienced kitchen remodeling company to help you answer them? Our certified kitchen designers and expert contractors will turn your kitchen from drab to fab.
Call us today to set up a consultation with one of our designers: (614) 449-7200.